Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Fixing things on Blue Pearl in Fajardo

OK!!! Now that the Admiral is here, things are starting to take shape.

Pam has a degree in fridge management and so I'm sure that we'll soon be able to find things in there. Also, she knows where stuff goes in general, so I'm getting around to putting things in their proper place. 

Getting after the rust on the stainless steel
The shower sump has been giving us problems. Comes on for no good reason and we have to turn the breaker on and off to reset it. Now it just runs for no reason at all.

So, out with the old and in with the new. Except Bob Johnson designed this boat for someone like Mark Spitz with freakishly long arms to grab things down in the bilge. Not for someone like me. So we've got a new pump in there but it is definitely a temporary install. Need to find a better way.


We've dumped all the rain water that has collected around the mail sail and flaked the sail onto the boom. Pam has repaired part of the sail cover so it captures the sail properly.

Fixing things.
Our new best friend is Quino the rigger. He can fix anything and if there is something he can't fix, he knows the person who can.

I've been waiting for the opportunity to get someone to help me thread a new masthead wind instrument cable. So Quino came to look at the boat yesterday. He said he would send crew to do the deed this morning... and as he was walking away from the boat he looked at the thing-a-ma-jig connector at the top of the bobstay and said that I should deal with that.
Even when he pointed it out to me I couldn't see the problem... but I said go ahead and fix it.

Not good

Glad that didn't go during a night crossing
Oooooh ,shiny!

Can you imagine if that had failed, especially going to wind. Ackkk.

Installed new cable, taking photos of areas of interest

What's going on up there?
So that's fixed, and so is my masthead wind instrument. And soon Quino's guys will have fixed the other things they found... the frayed spinnaker halyard, the frayed spinnaker boom halyard, the chafe guard on the staysail stay and the chafe guard on the mainsail outhaul.

Otto, the autopilot has suffered some damage.  I've managed to get it back together, for the most part but the hydraulic ram needs to go to a machine shop to have the seals checked and to have the hydraulic fluid replaced. Pam brought a replacement navigation computer down in her carry-on luggage which I installed yesterday. So we are seeing progress on that front.

Down in the office fixing Otto
I've done the final bits on the windlass install and in the process found the broken wire from the forward running lights. Soon I can fix the toilet lids that I broke by standing on them while trying to finish the windlass install.

Quite comfortable

Aha... that's why the running lights were out!

Done in the locker... now fix the turlet
So things are getting done. Marc from France is going to help us install a new kitchen sink. The old one has rusted through. I'll show photos when we pull it out.

That's it for now. 

Fixing things on Blue Pearl in Fajardo

No comments:

Post a Comment