So off we went, gallant explorers, but backing out of the slip (which is 4 pilings – 2 at the bow and 2 at the stern, Captain Chaos managed to come too close to one of the pilings. Our new marine barbeque valiantly tried to protect the boat from the piling but alas, the barbeque is now in the water at the end of slip H-37. Six feet under, so to speak.
We forged on to Stuart and we are currently anchored in 5 feet of water in Manatee Pocket – right near the St. Lucie Inlet. Walked to the nearby West Marine and replaced our noble BBQ. They are setting up for a huge seafood festival http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/jan/23/seafood-festival-celebrates-fishing-industry/ so lots of fishermen are bringing in their catch to be prepared and sold. We bought a “Blue” (?) and Glen expertly filleted it. It is ready to cook for dinner tonight.
|Dinghy ride into shore at Stuart|
Tomorrow we will hopefully go to sea from the ICW and sail to the Lake Worth inlet to wait for a Bahama crossing. If the weather is poor we will continue on the ICW – but there are at least 6 bridges that open on the hour and half hour. Let’s hope for sailing on the outside. If we get out there... and it's great... maybe we should head across. The reports call for a good day tomorrow... but 5 days of not so good crossing days. We are 25 miles north of our ideal crossing location. From the Lake Worth Inlet it is 57 miles to West End on Grand Bahama. Pythagorus suggests that it is only 62 if we go from here. Hmmmmm!